WeatherBug Announces Outdoor Lightning Alerting System for Country Clubs and Resorts
When Seconds Count, WeatherBug Provides Advanced Notice of Lightning and Threatening Weather through Phones, Computers, in the Clubhouse and Now on the Golf Course with an Outdoor Horn Solution
Germantown, MD – January 27, 2011 — Earth Networks, the provider of WeatherBug® products and services and operator of the largest weather observing and lightning network, today announced the newest advancement in lightning detection and severe weather alerting for country clubs and resorts. WeatherBug Club Safety now includes an Outdoor Alerting System with its arsenal of alerting notifications. The WeatherBug Outdoor Alerting System can be added to any WeatherBug Weather Station equipped with lightning detection technology.
Country clubs and resorts can now have the first, commercially available in-cloud (IC) and cloud-to-ground (CG) lightning detection technology to be integrated with a mass notification solution. High rates of in-cloud lightning serve as precursory indicators of the potential for severe weather activity, including lightning strikes, heavy rain, hail, strong winds and the increased threat of tornadic activity. This detection technology provides management more intelligence and advanced warning of approaching severe weather.
The WeatherBug Club Safety solutions suite includes the following components and benefits:
A Professional-grade WeatherBug Weather Station and Lightning Sensor
- Provides the most advanced warning of lightning and severe weather,
- Detects in-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning well beyond that of existing networks and single-node “prediction” or traditional detection systems, and
- Records numerous other weather measurements and parameters, including wind speed and direction, temperature, humidity and rainfall, in real time.
Advanced Alerting Systems
- Sends alerts where they are needed: Mobile devices, computers, indoor alerting beacons and now outdoors with the new WeatherBug Outdoor Alerting System,
- Includes user-defined thresholds and proximity limits, and
- Provides all-weather, real-time visualization though a Web- and GIS-based solution.
Members and the community benefit with access to weather specifically from the club location
- Enables live weather and forecasts on mobile phones, computers and iPads, and
- Displays live weather in the clubhouse and facilities with digital signage.
Designed specifically for clubs and outdoor facilities, the new WeatherBug Outdoor Alerting System is unique in both design and function. The patented design represents a new generation in omni-directional electronic sirens and is made from professional-grade components that operate in a wide temperature range, making it virtually maintenance free. The system is comprised of one or more 110 dBA horn units equipped with 170,000 peak candela strobe lights, which provide high-decibel output, attention-getting signals for maximum coverage from single or multiple siren sites.
"Golf courses and resorts can now provide enhanced safety and protection to their members and guests with a better alternative in lightning detection, severe weather identification and alerting technologies,” said Frank McCathran, WeatherBug Club Safety Director, Earth Networks. “With WeatherBug Club Safety solutions, notification is provided by everyday tools, such as mobile phones and computers, and also through beacons and professional-grade horns to alert club members, management and staff. We are proud to be putting the most accurate, powerful and comprehensive in-cloud and cloud-to-cloud lightning detection and alerting into the hands of club and golf course decision makers. Club managers, golf professionals, and superintendents don’t have to compromise anymore when it comes to lightning safety.”
Frank McCathran and other staff will be on hand to discuss WeatherBug Club Safety solutions at the following events:
· PGA Merchandise Show: January 27-29, booth 2059,
· Golf Industry Show: February 9-10, booth 1013, and the
· Club Managers Association of America (CMAA) World Conference and Club Business Expo: February 26-27, booth 203.
About Earth Networks
Founded in 1993 as AWS Convergence Technologies, Earth Networks operates the largest weather observation and lightning networks in the world and is establishing a global environmental data network on an unprecedented scale. Earth Networks owns and operates the WeatherBug brand, which precisely monitors, organizes and distributes global weather information. The WeatherBug consumer brand (http://www.weatherbug.com) reaches millions as a trusted source for live, local weather information, while the WeatherBug professional brand (http://www.weatherbugprofessional.com) serves a variety of markets that include federal, state and local governments, education, agriculture, energy and utilities, sports and recreation, media and transportation. Each day, consumers and organizations, including the National Weather Service, turn to WeatherBug to plan daily activities, safeguard lives and improve business operations. Earth Networks is based in Germantown, Maryland and is online at www.earthnetworks.com.
# # #