Earth Networks Partners with BIA to Provide Weather and Climate Intelligence Services to Spain, Portugal and Latin America
Germantown, MD and Madrid, Spain – September 28, 2011 – Earth NetworksSM, the owner of WeatherBug® and operator of the largest weather, lightning and climate observation networks, today announces the formation of a new business partnership with Borrasca Iniciativas Atmosféricas S.L. (BIA), the premier provider of weather information and services in Spain. With the partnership, BIA will provide local meteorological and climate expertise and help bring the broad range of weather networking, forecasting, nowcasting, data visualization and greenhouse gas monitoring solutions from Earth Networks to Spain, Portugal and Latin America.
The companies will focus on delivering weather and climate solutions to enterprise markets such as aviation, rail and road transportation, emergency services, civil protection, national and regional weather services, and electric utilities, where atmospheric intelligence is critical to optimizing business operations and assuring customer and employee safety. Currently, Earth Networks and BIA are jointly supporting the emergency services operations at SESCAM, the regional healthcare organization of Castilla-La Mancha in central Spain, by ensuring that helicopter medevac operations are constantly supplied with the most accurate and up-to-date local weather conditions.
BIA brings to the partnership a knowledgeable staff and local meteorological expertise, while Earth Networks brings a variety of advanced weather and climate solutions, including the following:
- StreamerRT: A GIS- web-based visualization tool that simultaneously monitors multiple weather layers in real time to provide timely and accurate forecasts and weather-triggered alerts.
- The Earth Networks Total Lightning System and the Total Lightning Network in Spain: A product and a service that detect both cloud-to-ground (CG) and in-cloud (IC) lightning, or total lightning, with unmatched location accuracy and detection efficiencies.
- Earth Networks Thunderstorm Cell Tracking and Dangerous Thunderstorm Alerts: A warning service that provides advanced notification of the potential for severe weather, including lightning strikes, heavy rain, hail, strong winds and increased threat of tornadic activity.
- SmartGrid Solutions: A comprehensive suite of applications utilizing real-time weather intelligence to enable improved load balancing, demand forecasting, demand response, outage management, energy trading, and consumer engagement programs for utilities and national grid operators.
- Greenhouse Gas Observation Network: A climate monitoring solution that will observe and measure atmospheric carbon dioxide and methane trace gases in order to produce carbon flux reports on a regional-to-local scale.
“The innovative weather and climate solutions from Earth Networks complement the detailed weather forecasts provided by our experienced team of meteorologists. Our combined approach will benefit a variety of organizations that are frequently affected by weather including airlines, airports, logistics and transportation companies, and electric utilities,” says Florenci Rey Benadero, Founder and CEO, BIA. “We are partnering with Earth Networks because of the company’s unique approach in combining surface weather and lightning detection networks with integrated forecast models, nowcasting technology, and powerful data visualization tools that enable accurate and up-to-the-minute information for industrial and governmental clients.”
“Florenci Rey Benadero is an authoritative voice in the Spanish meteorological community and millions throughout Spain recognize Florenci and the TV, radio, and print services from BIA as a leading source of weather information to the Iberian Peninsula,” says Jeremy Usher, Vice President, EMEA, Earth Networks. “Our new partnership, and Florenci’s entrepreneurial energy, will help us as we expand our presence across Spain, Portugal and Latin America for both weather and climate solutions.”
On site, live demonstrations of the combined solutions from Earth Networks and BIA can be arranged at SESCAM facilities in Toledo, Spain by contacting Florenci Rey Benadero at email@example.com or Jeremy Usher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Earth NetworksSM
As the provider of advanced weather data for nearly 20 years, Earth Networks (formerly AWS) operates the world’s largest weather observation and lightning detection networks and is building what will become the largest greenhouse gas monitoring network. Observations from Earth Networks inform and alert consumers, enterprises and governments around the world, providing them with advanced environmental intelligence for decision making and safety. The company’s popular WeatherBug website, desktop application and mobile apps provide millions of consumers with real-time, local weather information and dangerous severe weather alerts. Enterprise solutions from Earth Networks enable organizations, including energy and utilities, agriculture, schools, sports and recreation, emergency operations and government entities, to safeguard lives, prepare for weather and climate events and improve business operations. Earth Networks (www.earthnetworks.com) is headquartered in the Washington, D.C. area with offices in Mountain View, Calif.; New York, NY; Milan, Italy and a local presence in 50 countries worldwide.