WeatherBug Elite for Android Now Features Mobile Storm Tracking with GPS-based Lightning Alerts
Customized Severe Weather Monitoring and Lightning Distance Notifications Help Android Users Know BeforeTM When Severe Weather Approaches
Germantown, MD – September 24, 2012 – Earth NetworksSM, the owner of the popular WeatherBug® brand and the operator of the largest weather monitoring, lightning detection and climate observation networks, announces the launch of the latest version of its WeatherBug Elite mobile app for Android. WeatherBug’s new My Storm Tracker with Lightning Alerts – combined with neighborhood-level forecasts for where you live and work – provides the fastest and most targeted mobile warnings to help you Know Before™ and stay safe when lightning and severe weather threaten.
WeatherBug with My Storm Tracker is the only app powered by the Earth Networks Total Lightning Network™, the largest and the most comprehensive network for detecting total lightning. Hundreds are seriously injured or killed each year by lightning strikes, and lightning in the clouds often provides an early indication of severe weather that produces dangerous lightning strikes, high winds, hail and even tornadoes. WeatherBug with My Storm Tracker is the only app that uses both cloud-to-ground and in-cloud lightning data to provide advanced warning of extreme weather. You can trust WeatherBug to provide better lead times to help keep you and your loved ones out of harm’s way.
My Storm Tracker – also available on WeatherBug Elite for iPhone – is the latest customized severe weather alerting feature from WeatherBug. With My Storm Tracker, WeatherBug Elite users can know the distance of the nearest lightning strike to their current location based on the GPS sensor on their phones. The app also provides minute-by-minute and mile-by-mile updates as thunderstorms approach. When lightning is detected, the app’s Threat Meter provides tips on how to help stay safe based on how far away the lightning is to your location.
The newest release of WeatherBug Elite for Android features detailed real-time weather data – in addition to hourly and extended forecast information for favorite locations – and plenty of customized weather tools to keep mobile users informed and alerted:
- Weather Warnings: WeatherBug users receive alerts from the National Weather Service (NWS), plus Dangerous Thunderstorm Alerts (DTAs) exclusive to Earth Networks. No matter if heavy rain, lightning or tornadoes approach, DTAs on average provide significantly faster warning times than other alerts when minutes matter.
- Lightning Alerts: Since lightning can jump and strike 10 miles away from a storm, it’s vital to know how far the lightning is to you. WeatherBug Elite with My Storm Tracker provides a dynamic lightning meter that reports the distance, in miles or kilometers, of the nearest strike to you based on your GPS location. Use the in-app threat index to learn what to do next to help stay safe.
- Local Weather Information: For nearly two decades, WeatherBug has been delivering live weather information, updated every few seconds, from an extensive, professional-grade network of weather sensors located within cities and towns – not at a distant airport.
- Visual Forecasts: Millions turn to WeatherBug for faster weather alerting and superior forecasts, plus detailed weather information. Get the information you need quickly with WeatherBug’s easy-to-read, at-a-glance displays of essential weather information.
- Social Sharing: When extreme weather knocks out power, traditional channels for news and information are unavailable and mobile alerting is critical. WeatherBug provides the latest weather alerting where and when you need it – and lets you share weather warnings using Facebook to keep friends and family informed.
- Live Cameras: Check the weather outside at your location, your children’s school, the football field, or thousands of other places worldwide. WeatherBug lets you keep an eye on conditions at home and away with live shots from cameras in your community and from locations throughout the exclusive WeatherBug Network.
WeatherBug Elite for Android is available for $1.99 on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aws.android.elite.
For more information on WeatherBug apps, go to http://weather.weatherbug.com/mobile.html. To view screen shots, visit http://earthnetworks.com/MediaCenter/ImageGalleries. To watch a video overview, visit http://youtu.be/VsulvYS4CeI.
About Earth NetworksSM
As a provider of comprehensive atmospheric data for nearly 20 years, Earth Networks is Taking the Pulse of the Planet with the world’s largest weather observation, lightning detection, and greenhouse gas monitoring networks and is establishing a network for collecting data within the planetary boundary layer. The company’s popular WeatherBug website, desktop application and mobile apps for major smartphone platforms provide real-time neighborhood-level weather and advanced severe weather alerts to millions of consumers. Enterprise solutions from Earth Networks enable organizations and markets, including energy and utilities, agriculture, schools, sports and recreation, emergency operations and government entities, to safeguard lives, prepare for weather and climate events and improve business operations. Founded in 1993, Earth Networks (www.earthnetworks.com) is headquartered in the Washington, D.C. area with additional locations in Mountain View, Calif.; New York, NY; Milan, Italy and a local presence in 50 countries worldwide.